homepage / about
Our Mission: To develop, heal and grow community through recycled art.
We aim to inspire more art and assist artists in developing skills for art creation by using and re-using the available resources around them. Our objective is to teach people how to create "art with purpose"reusing discarded, unwanted, and excess items; creating generations of artists and crafters who are more environmentally conscious.
Art of Recycle began with the simple idea of teaching people how to re-use the everyday items around them to create art rather than discarding unwanted items into the landfill. Not just any art, but useful art that people would treasure and utilize for years.
It all began in 2008, in a 10x10 booth, in downtown Lancaster, hosting free workshops in the evenings and on the weekends.
Art is a fundamental need.
Art is probably one of the most stress relieving and therapeutic ways of healing your body and mind. We believe that art and music belong in the same category as diet and exercise, and people who are robbed of the ability to create art because of economic hardship live a life of the lowest quality.
Art of Recycle offers a free crafting area that is utilized by people of all walks of life. We facilitate intergenerational interactions by maintaining an environment in which young and old can enjoy together.
At Art of Recycle our goal is to provide HOPE to people within the communities that we serve.
• Above all else, we will treat every person that enters our facility with respect and dignity.
• Every guest is welcomed as they walk in the door; every new person receives an introductory tour of our art center.
• We believe that raising the self-esteem of our citizens is important in creating a healthier community.
• Our free crafting area and our commitment to keep our merchandise low cost for our clients provides opportunity to people during a time of economic hardship.
• Our free Teachers Section provides teachers with free materials for their classrooms.
• We strive towards a zero waste community, utilizing as much of potentially discarded materials as possible while teaching others to do the same.
• Our pledge to donate excess art supplies to other organizations and institutions helps to reduce the economic burden on them in an effort to help art programs in local communities to prosper.
• Due to our low cost crafting materials, local artists have a greater advantage of creating a sustainable income through the sale of their own art.
• Our work within our community enables us to help other communities to develop similar revitalization projects in order to create widespread community prosperity.
• We provide free and low cost workshops that teach people the skills that they need in order to create with confidence.
• Our volunteer opportunities serve as training workshops and help individuals with special needs to learn social skills empowering them with self confidence and motivation.
• Our goal is to empower people, and entire communities, with the concept that they can achieve magnificent things when they apply the effort to do so.